Thursday, January 29, 2009

Truman Project report worth reading

As a lifelong opponent of the military/industrial/petroleum economy, I'm pretty sure that I know that I disagree with the Truman National Security Project a lot of the time.
I nevertheless found their recent report well worth reading, even though I clearly qualify as a "guillotiner" (a cutter) in their eyes--see the report for a more expanded explanation.
Here's an example of a paragraph where I applaud them for being clear about the wastefulness of the Joint Strike Fighter, while confessing that, yes, I would slash its funding...
"Take, for example, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. At a price tag of
$242 billion, it is the most expensive aircraft program in the history of
the Department of Defense (DoD) and thus a prime candidate for cutting
back and saving money. Those who look longingly at the past and see

the era of conventional warfare as a time of innocence will fight to fully
fund the F-35, while those wielding the guillotine and the partisans of
unconventional war will try to slash its funding or cut it altogether."
So when do we Robespierres get to "wield the guillotine" on these big weapons projects?
http://www.trumanproject.org/files/backgrounders/Strategic_Balance.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment